This blog is about my own journey to sustainability—getting outside of the box and being more authentically human. It’s about not viewing 'wealth' as money, but as something much more holistic and broad. The ideas presented here come from my book How to Create a Sustainable and Fulfilling Lifestyle

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Breaking Our Addiction to Oil

If Americans have learned nothing else from the BP Oil Disaster, we should realize that we absolutely must break our addiction to oil. It's supply and demand, straight up. We demand it, so they supply it--at any cost. And this time, the cost has been incredibly high.

My personal solution is to leave my car parked. I'm using my bicycle for anywhere that I go within a 5-mile range. In this photo, I am headed down to Mount Shasta Village to pick up a bushel of vegetables from our Community Supported Agricultural coop. With a little creativity (and some bale hay twine), I can get almost everything that I need on either the back of my bike--or on my back with a pack. Goodbye BP!